Saturday, September 16, 2006

first timer, eh?

I'm not entirely sure who I'm doing this for. I'll be honest, it's all for me. With that admission out of the way, why not get started?
Last week I had my wisdom teeth taken out. It hasn't been a pleasant experience overall, I won't lie. In the past eight days or so I haven't really eaten a proper meal. Or at least anything that looks like a proper meal. Chicken and potatoes, lasagne, and others have all been put in a blender (separately, of course) to create a lovely tasting but unsightly mush that is far more easily consumed than their original incarnation. Eating gloop aside, I haven't really done much, bar sit at my laptop playing hours of Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (which I picked up for €8 a few weeks back) and reading Pitchfork religiously. I don't know half the bands they go on about, but it's all educational I guess. I heard my dissertation supervisor ask a DJ for Pavement last year, and now they're on Pitchfork, so I guess they must be good. That actually brings me to my next thought...
Over the past, well I don't know how long it's really been, but anyway, I think I'll start that sentence again. I've managed to amass a large collection of music over the past X number of years. Some of it I listen to and think, hmm, well that was a waste of time. I won't give any examples. Oh, I will. Wolfmother. Others, I listen to and think, Wow, how have I managed to miss this? Examples: Boards of Canada (MHTRTC released in 1998, discovered by Aidan in 2005), Wilco, etc. I could go on. The final category is music that I acquire, in one way or another, and blissfully ignore for months, years sometimes. Eventually, I say to myself Dammit, this has been sitting here for far too long. Listen! Sometimes I have to put reminders in my phone to listen to a certain album. Tonight I finally sat down and listened to Rough Trade's Counter Culture '05 cd, well, if I'm being honest I only listened to CD1, but hey, that's a start! Sure enough, I found some damn good music on there... I have vagure aspirations towards DJ-dom, and I found some nice tunes I wouldn't mind playing some night to an unsuspecting crowd. Top of the list must be Katzenjammers' Cars, a Carribean steel band remake of Gary Numan's '80s anthem. The Pipettes are up there too, It Hurts to See You Dance So Well is like a spurned lover's I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor. Although, at a little over a minute in length, it could be difficult to mix in/out. But that's hardly the right attitude! Right now I'm playing the painfully dated* City Rockers compilation Futurism, which I borrowed from a Mongrel writer two and a half years ago. I suppose I'll have to listen to Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted next, I've had that for all of, let's say, three months?

*Not really. Electroclash may be dead, but Sunglasses At Night and La La Land are obviously timeless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home