Sunday, December 09, 2007

this is a really long post.

it's been pointed out that i haven't posted anything lately... oh well. i decided to have a listen to jay-z's reasonable doubt for the first time in a long while recently, mainly because i was playing a lot of cadence weapon (in advance of an interview that never happened) and the line "i got one love for 22 two's" made me go back and remind myself why i used to love it so much. of all the tracks there one stood out, mainly because i'd never paid it proper attention: cashmere thoughts.

I talk jewels and spit diamonds, all cherry
like a hymen, when I'm rhymin with remarkable timin
Caviar and silk dreams, my voice is linen
Spittin venom up in the, minds of young women
Mink thoughts to think thoughts type similar
Might you remember, my sh!t is col-l-l-ld like December
Smoother than Persian rugs, the cashmere
chromosomes make a n!gga Jigga Jay-Z lethal drugs
Eighteen carat gold pen, when it hits the sheets
Words worth a million like I'm rappin em through platinum teeth
I got the Grey Poupon, you been warned
Cause all beef return well done filet mignon
The Don, smell of Dom on my breath as I
yawn, (slow) when you hoes try to con a pro
As if you didn't know, Jay's about gettin dough
Spittin flow like fine wines down your earlobe
I'm smooth but deadly like a pearl handled pistol
Honies hum in melody when I, rub it like crystal...

so, funny that when i chatted to a-trak at sinden last week and mentioned jay-z (i remember him playing that track with the "open up the blazer" line with mehdi a few weeks back) and said i'd been listening to reasonable doubt, the one track he mentioned was cashmere thoughts. class.

in other news, i saw duran duran last week. bought tickets as a birthday present for my girlfriend, but i was actually interested in seeing what they'd be like. i remember reading an interview with seb fontaine in ministry magazine back in 2000, where he said that as a kid at parties himself and his mates would hog the tape player to make sure the girls didn't play duran duran, but that if he played girls on film now (then?) in a club it would sound great. then in 2003 i was introduced to erol alkan by way of a free mix cd which featured, of course, the night version of that very song. how hip and cool...

finally, i realise i said "hot cool" two posts down. apologies...

Jay-Z - Cashmere Thoughts
Duran Duran - Girls On Film (Night Version)
Erol Alkan Presents One Louder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home